Truck Driving comes in all shapes and forms but from time to time you may be expected to do nights out in a truck, so what do you need to take to work with you to be prepared for stopping out in your truck, below I have listed some Truck tramping essentials.
Firstly lets look at what the truck itself will provide for you when spending a night in your truck.
- Night heater – providing truck drivers with a controllable temperature especially handy during Winter months.
- Power Supply Ports – 24v/12v power supply points for powering devices and items you may require during your night out.
- Bunk – A sleeper cab is fitted with a bed area and generally comes with a mattress for comfort.
- Fridge – Most modern trucks are fitted with a fridge compartment for keeping food fresh
- Lighting – Interior lighting is essential for nights out and modern trucks even have ambient lighting for your comfort.
- Radio – The radio/CD Player is a way of entertaining yourself during a night out and also keep updated with news and traffic reports.
- Curtains – Sleeper cabs are fitted with curtains that pull around the side and front windscreen so you can have privacy within the cab area.
Tramping Essentials you need as a Truck Driver for Nights Out in a truck
So your boss tells you “I need you do do a night out tomorrow” you will know what features your vehicle has but what should you take to work with you?
Trust me preparing yourself properly will make sleeping in a truck a more pleasurable experience, there is nothing worse than running out of tachograph hours and having to park in a lay-by without the items you need as a driver.
Below is a list of essentials for spending the night in a truck
- Sleeping Bag
- Change of Clothing
- Mobile Phone with Charger
- Washing and Shaving Kit including towel
- Plenty of water
- Cooking equipment for a hot meal
- Waterproof Clothing
- Portable toilet and loo rolls (just in case)
Note; It is always a good idea if you are parking for the night in a lay-by to try and find a services somewhere on route before parking the truck, use there toilet facilities and freshen up as needing the toilet in a lay-by is never a nice situation to endure.
Great Choice Products for a Night out in the truck
Professional 300 3-4 season Sleeping Bag
- Ultra Warm Filling 300GSM (2 x 150g/m2). Water Resistant and Perfect for 3-4 Seasons.
- Comfort temperature of +10°C to 0°C. Extreme use down to -10°C.
- Drawstring mummy hood covers your entire head and face to keep warm.
- Internal pouch for valuables and mobile phones, wind-proof double zipper system and internal drawstring collar for ultimate comfort.
- Comfortable, durable and lightweight for summer and winter camping, outdoor use. Compression bag for easy carrying included.
Compact travel pillow with removable cover in a handy bag
- Long Lasting Comfort: Separate soft polyester pillow pad and fully machine washable polycotton cover.
- Handy Size and Practical: Size in use 38x28x8cm approx, size when packed 25x10x10cm approx.
- Strong carry bag included.
1200 Lumens Torch, 5 Modes Tactical Zoomable Waterproof Flashlight
- The torch allows you to select focus between spot and flood beam.Functional 5 Modes: High,Medium,Low beam,Strobe and an SOS switch mode.
- Ultra Bright Professional Tactical LED Flashlight.
- military grade hard-anodized clip slot endure rough handling.
- Mount Holder+Flashlight Holster.Worry-Free 12-Month Warranty
10 ltr water container with non glug spout
- Width: 265 mm, depth: 200 mm, height: 307 mm
- 10 litres
- Very sturdy
Campinggaz 400 ST Portable stove with toaster
- Convenient suitcase camping stove with table top supports for stability
- Integrated Toaster
- Sturdy painted steel lid
- 2 burners with Xcelerate technology which provides a faster boiling time outdoors
- Piezo ignition for convenient lighting
Thetford Porta Potti 335 Qube Toilet compact and hygenic
- White finish
- Manual flush piston pump
- Integrated pour-out spout
- Integrated cover-lock
- Perfect for use with trucks, motorhome, camping.
- Modern, refreshed design
- Improved valve handle system
- Improved carry handle of the waste holding tank
- Improved seating comfort
- Waste tank capacity: 10 Litres
- Flush water tank capacity: 10 Litres
- Toilet weight: 3.3kg
- Dimensions: : 315 x 342 x 382 mm
Non Essential Items for Nights Out But Cool Stuff!
Having to do nights out on a regular basis can be made more enjoyable by adding some simple non essential items to your list of things to take with you.
When you park your truck and hit the Tachograph at the end of the day, you will know you will be there for at least 9 hours and depending on hours worked and how many nights you have to spend in the truck, this could even be 11 hours parked on the side of the road.
Regular Nights out each week call for a bit more planning, so having some entertainment to keep you occupied will make your nights out in the truck much more comfortable.
Below are a few items that will make a night out really great!
Sniper 12v/24v Travel TV with built in DVD Player, Satellite and Freeview.
- 12/24 volt power lead for travel use plus mains adapter
- Freeview HD and HD satellite receivers built in, built in DVD/CD player
- Built in Bluetooth audio for soundbar or headphones
- USB PVR function for pausing live TV and recording
- Grade A LED Screen, very low power consumption 18 watts
Magnetic roof mounted TV Aerial for trucks 12v/24v with built in signal amplifier
- Omni-directional Touring Aerial, Ideal for magnetic roof mounting
- Magnetic Based fixture for Boat, Caravan, Truck, Canal Boat or Motorhome
- The antenna is supplied complete with a 12/24v power adapter
- Built in amplifier
- Use for 12 volt and 24 volt Televisions
Portable 1200ml 24V Travel Truck Electric Kettle
2000w 24v to 240v Power Inverter with remote
For powering mains items in your truck perfect for using a laptop, kettle, Truck TV or other mains devices including cooling fan, TV Aerial signal booster etc.
Please Note; never use appliances with a larger Ampage than your Battery, 24v or 12v sockets are rated at!
I hope you found this article “Nights Out in a Truck Tramping Essentials” useful if you would like to comment please do so below would be great to hear all about your nights out ideas and things you use to make sleeping in the cab better.