Ever since the introduction of sat navs for trucks, there has been a decrease in accidents. As technology continues to advance, more and more truck drivers are opting for more advanced devices which can help them navigate heavy goods vehicles safely. With so many options available on the market today it’s hard to know which one is best suited for your needs. We have put together this list of top 10 truck sat navs 2022 that will be perfect for lorry drivers in Britain.
What Is The Difference Between A Truck Sat Nav and Other GPS Devices?
Sat navs for trucks are specifically designed to help drivers navigate large vehicles.
They offer features such as truck specific routing, which takes into account the weight and size of the vehicle, and height restrictions.
They also come with a database of toll roads and weigh stations so you can avoid costly fines.
Some images and products shown in this article are affiliate links, we may earn a small commission if you use them, we hope you find the information provided useful.
British Trucking Top 10 Truck Sat Navs for 2022
The TomTom Go Expert Truck Sat Nav
Looking for a reliable and professional GPS navigator specifically designed for large vehicles? Look no further than the TomTom Go Expert Truck Sat Nav. This top-of-the-line device features a large 7 Inch HD screen, giving you clear guidance and easy navigation. Plus, it comes with custom routes and POIs for buses, trucks, and coaches, as well as live alerts for bridge heights, ADR tunnels, UN Class restrictions, speed cameras, and more. So you can stay ahead of traffic and drive safer.
Get the information you need as soon as possible. The GO Expert’s HD touchscreen has more processing power, allowing for up to 4x faster reaction time – the quickest on the market. Swipe, zoom, and input data. On GO Expert, everything is quick and fluid.
Don’t miss out on this must-have trucking accessory – order your TomTom Go Expert Truck Sat Nav today!
2. TomTom Go Professional 6250 Truck Sat Nav
The TomTom 6250 was our top choice in 2021 and is still an amazing GPS for navigating large vehicles, used by thousands of truck drivers across the UK the features of the 6250 have always been admired by truckers.
Regular up-to-date Maps for large vehicles that enable you to drive on the right roads with specialised routing for hazardous cargos, vehicle size, weight, and height entries to arrive safely, relaxed, and on time to your destination.
Steer clear of getting stuck in traffic and know your precise arrival times with TomTom Traffic Services.
Easy Updates by Wi-Fi provide Regular EU map updates which are completed quickly with no computer needed.
A clear 6 inch touchscreen provides easy to follow navigation from the driver’s seat.
Secured by a specialised click-and-drive mount which holds the device securely even on bumpy roads.
Clear instructions with high brightness and sunlight-readable screen which makes the device perfect all year round.
Hands-free calls and smartphone messages by way of Bluetooth give a boost to road safety by pairing your phone together with your truck sat nav.
Know where to fuel up, take a rest, and service your vehicle with large vehicle points of interest.
A great device for trucking in the UK safely, this GPS is certainly a top choice truck sat nav and worth considering.
3. Garmin DēzlCam 785 LMT-D Truck Sat Nav
The Garmin DēzlCam 785 LMT-D is a great navigation device and features a built in dash cam to record a truckers journey, this GPS is very popular with long haul truck drivers who very often drive into Europe.
This premium 7-inch truck sat nav has a powered magnetic mount, detailed mapping and Lifetime Maps for Full Europe (45 countries).
The integrated dash camera records your drive and automatically saves any incident footage on impact. It also enables features such as forward collision and lane departure warnings.
Custom truck routing for large vehicles include vehicle dimensions, load, and weight of your truck which is very useful for avoiding unsuitable routes and avoiding low bridges.
The garmin truck sat nav provides free live traffic reports via DAB or Smartphone Link and additional live services such as weather via the free Smartphone Link app.
The points of interest included in the mapping are highly rated by professional truckers.
Bluetooth hands-free calling, smart notifications, and voice-activated navigation are also a great feature of the Garmin DēzlCam 785 LMT-D.
The Built-in Wi-Fi lets you easily update maps and software keeping the device up to date at all times.
If you are looking for a quality truck sat nav with a built in dash camera the Garmin DēzlCam 785 LMT-D has to be the perfect solution.
4. Aguri Truck TX740 PRO Truck Sat Nav
Aguri have really stepped up with design and quality and this TX740 PRO is no exception, this GPS for trucks has a 7″ Screen which provides perfect visibility in all lighting conditions.
With a built in dash cam you can record your journey as well as reach your destination safely, this truck sat nav was rated 4 star by Trucking Magazine and it is British Truckings number four choice for the best truck GPS for 2022.
The TX740 PRO has great features, Preloaded with professional street level mapping covering the United Kingdom and Ireland it is great for British truck drivers.
Built for large vehicles a truck driver can simply enter the dimensions & weight of a vehicle plus load codes if applicable & the Aguri TX740 will calculate a protected & trustworthy route avoiding weight, height & width restrictions plus many other hazards inc low emission zones.
The sat nav comes with free wireless updates, deluxe carry case & 32GB SD card.
The display screen is LCD with an improved off-axis view and enhanced louder loudspeaker that provides clear instructions to the driver on route.
This GPS also allows the driver to browse the internet, and download your favourite apps from the Google Play Store.
Benefit from Live Digital Traffic reports (Compatible Smartphone or iPhone required).
The visual graphics on screen give a clear junction view and Lane view.
Drive Assist speed trap & speed limit alerts provide vital information to a truck driver especially when driving on roads that are not familiar.
The Aguri TX740 PRO truck sat nav will be a great asset for any truck driver looking for a great GPS for his or her truck.
5. Snooper Truckmate S6900 Truck Sat Nav
Snooper have been helping truck drivers for many years with top quality devices, in fact they started in 1979 with speed camera alert devices and have been adding to their portfolio ever since moving from speed alerts to truck sat navs.
The Snooper Truckmate S6900 is a popular device with truck drivers, it has a clear 7″ LCD touch screen which is easy to read with large display navigation instructions.
Input up to 16 destinations by searching a postcode, junction number, or destination, the Truckmate then calculates the most economical route so that you can save money and time.
The GPS device includes free lifetime map updates that can be downloaded hassle free keeping the sat nav up to date with any recent road changes in the UK.
This truck sat nav also has a brilliant feature allowing a driver to add up to 10 vehicle user defined alerts which is awesome for drivers that use different trucks regularly.
This truck sat nav is a great option for truck drivers in the UK and is our number 5 top choice for 2022 check it out!
6.Garmin dēzl LGV700 MT-D Truck Sat Nav
Garmin truck sat navs have always been popular for trucking navigation and the Garmin dēzl LGV700 MT-D is one of the best.
The large, easy-to-read 7-inch touchscreen offers a bright, crisp, high-resolution display.
Get custom truck routing by adding the dimensions and weight of your truck, see alerts for upcoming bridge heights, sharp curves, and more.
Preloaded Truck Parking Europe data display along your route and help you filter by most popular amenities or security level.
Check on parking availability whilst attached to the Garmin Drive mobile app.
The Industry-perfect load-to-dock guidance shows potential loading zones or storage when approaching your destination.
See popular routes utilized by fellow truckers to navigate new areas and increase situational awareness guiding your truck safely to your destination.
The Garmin dēzl LGV700 MT-D truck sat nav will not let you down and is well worth consideration.
7. Garmin dēzl LGV1000 MT-D Truck Sat Nav
Well here we have yet another Garmin truck sat nav in our top 10 selection, the LGV1000 MT-D has a whopping 10 inch display plus several mounting options allowing a driver to position the device in various places in the truck.
This is at the top end of garmins truck sat navs so why have we only put the sat nav in position 7 on our list?
The Garmin dēzl LGV1000 MT-D Truck Sat Nav does have some amazing features but in our opinion it is priced a little high simply because it is a 10 inch device, here at British Trucking we don’t see that such a large screen provides any benefit to a driver, in fact such a large device could make it difficult to mount in a safe place where it can be viewed easily.
This garmin truck sat nav still has to be included in our list because of its quality and features which are great for trucking.
The Large, easy-to-read 10-inch touchscreen offers a bright, crisp, high-resolution display in landscape or portrait view.
Custom truck routing based on the size and weight of your truck, and built in alerts for upcoming bridge heights, weight limits, sharp curves, steep grades, and more.
The voice assistant allows you to talk to the device while keeping your hands on the wheel.
With industry-best load-to-dock guidance, you’ll see potential loading zones or storage lots as you approach your destination.
If the bigger the better option is best for you, this device will not let you down with navigation.
8. TomTom GO Professional 620 Truck Sat Nav
The 620 TomTom truck sat nav has been around for a little while now but still performs really well when it comes to navigating a truck safely, with quality TomTom features this device is still good enough to make our top ten list.
The 620 has a 6″ touchscreen with a clear sunlight readable display.
Hands-free calls and smartphone messages by means of Bluetooth, Strengthen road safety by pairing your phone along with the sat nav giving the driver the convenience of hands-free calling and messages read out loud.
Large vehicle POIs show you where to fuel up, take a rest, and service your vehicle and more in fact the TomTom GO Professional 620 truck sat nav brings you 50,000 POIs for large vehicles.
Drive on safe roads for your truck with specialised routing for hazardous cargo, vehicle size, weight, and max speed to arrive relaxed and on time.
A powerful truck sat nav that is loved by many truck drivers find out more about this great GPS for trucks.
9. Sniper SN-702T Truck Sat Nav
Sniper have produced a great 7″ truck sat nav which has a high truck driver rating, it has a 7″ screen and includes maps for the UK and Europe (48 different countries in total).
The SN-702T Plans routes that avoid roads unsuitable for HGVs, weight-restricted roads low bridges, etc.
Providing a Super-Fast 800MHz ARM Cortex A7 processor, 256MB RAM, 8GB flash + 16GB Micro SD.
High-quality 12V/24V twin voltage charger and UK 3 Pin Mains Charger that can easily be plugged into an inverter.
Inbuilt features include Bluetooth Handsfree and music playback + AV Input for a digital camera, games console, or DVD.
A versatile truck sat nav that does not break the bank certainly worth considering for your truck.
10. Snooper Truckmate S5100 EU
Finally, the Snooper Truckmate S5100 EU makes it to number Ten spot on our top 10 truck sat navs 2022.
The Snooper Truckmate products are specifically designed for Truck, Lorry and HGV use, helping commercial vehicle drivers get to their destination quickly, safely, and economically.
This Truckmate S5100 EU has a clear 5″ LCD touchscreen which is easy to read, also the text size can be adjusted to suit the drivers requirements when viewing the GPS device.
With multiroute technology up to 16 destinations can be input into the sat nav making it a great choice for multi drop routing.
Free lifetime map updates that can be downloaded without any hassles ensures the device is up to date at all times.
The Truckmate uses GPS data to display route speed limits, current speed, and the height restrictions of upcoming bridges and tunnels.
This is a great truck sat nav and worth checking out for your HGV vehicle.
How to Use a Truck Sat Nav Device
If you’re a truck driver, then you know the importance of having a good navigation system. A lorry sat nav can help keep you on track no matter where you’re driving. But how do you use one?
It is important with any truck sat nav that the details you enter into it are correct for your vehicle and the journey ahead, make sure that you enter all the specifications such as height, width, length, weight and load type if you have that option.
It is also important that the address you entered is accurate, personally when possible I always enter postcodes into my phone and search apps such as Google maps, or look at a map book to cross reference the details I have been given on my paperwork, a simple typo can take you miles out of your way and possibly get you into difficulties.
A truck sat nav is an aid for a truck driver in the same way that a map book is, it is important to drive a heavy goods vehicle according to the road ahead looking at road signs in the same way you would if a sat nav wasn’t installed, the sat nav will keep you going in right direction to reach your destination in a timely manner and with more safety, but always use your own judgement.
Benefits of Using a Truck Sat Nav
- Get to your destination faster and more efficiently.
- Save time and money on fuel by not making wrong turns.
- Be safer on the road, reducing the risk of accidents or fines.
- Feel confident driving on roads you don’t know.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, it is much safer to use a dedicated truck sat nav to drive HGV vehicles.
If you use the map on the phone, then be aware that you need phone signal for GPS. In certain parts of the country, particularly when in high elevation like in mountains, phone service may not be available. This is why it's recommended that when driving long distances across sparsely populated areas, drivers using smartphones with navigation maps should also bring paper maps and/or an atlas.
If your truck sat nav fails during a journey the best action would be to use a map book or smartphone to get you out of trouble, take extra care to reach your destination such as avoiding low bridges, or hazardous routes, if you can afford it carry a low cost truck sat nav with you as a backup device.
Most truck sat navs come with a windscreen mount but it is necessary to mount the GPS device in a position that will not obscure your view of the road, place it in a position outside of the swipe arc of the windscreen wipers but where you can still visibly glance at the device. Alternatively, use a mount that will sit on your dashboard to position the GPS in a suitable place in your truck.
Low Cost Truck Sat Navs Should They Be Considered?
It’s true to say that with any electronic device, you do get what you pay for! the low-cost truck sat navs will certainly navigate a truck satisfactorily, but they will incorporate fewer features that are beneficial when navigating trucks on busy UK roads.
The circuitry within budget devices will not be as fast or efficient as a higher-quality GPS.
Updating maps on lower-end truck sat navs often means that they will be required to connect to a computer to download new maps which can sometimes be tricky.
Having said that, I have used low-cost truck GPS devices in the past and found them to be actually very good for the price.
A low-cost GPS is a great item to keep in your work bag as a backup just in case something should go wrong with your main truck sat nav.
5 Best Selling Truck Sat Navs
- Regular updated EU Maps for large vehicles: Drive on the right roads for your truck with specialised routing for hazardous cargo, vehicle size, weight, and max. speed to arrive relaxed and on time
- TomTom traffic and services via Bluetooth: Avoid getting stuck in traffic and know your precise arrival times. Drive safer by knowing when to break thanks to jam tail warnings
- Updates via Wi-Fi: Regular EU map updates and service refreshes are quick and easy with the convenience of your TomTom GO Professional truck sat nav's built-in Wi-Fi. No computer needed
- 6 Inch touchscreen plus mount: Secured by a specialised click-and-drive mount view instructions clearly on the high brightness and sunlight-readable screen of your TomTom GO Professional truck sat nav
- Large 6/7 Inch HD Screen: Enjoy clear guidance and navigate effortlessly with your TomTom truck sat nav highest resolution 6/7 Inch HD screen on the HGV sat nav market smartly combined with...
- Professional Large Vehicle Navigation: Receive custom routes and POIs for your bus, truck or coach, plus live alerts for bridge heights, ADR tunnels, UN Class restrictions and more
- Stay Ahead of Traffic and Speed Cameras: Outsmart traffic and find the fastest routes with TomTom Traffic updates. Drive safer with jam tail warnings and 1 year of speed camera alerts
- Unbeatable TomTom Maps: Access the most accurate, up-to-date World maps on the HGV sat nav market. Know you’re always on the right road with reliable routes designed for your vehicle
- 【9 inch Sat Nav】9 inch large touch screen react fast with no delay. The color feels natural, comfortable for your eyes. Unique brand AWESAFE company designed, coming with suction cup Bracket for...
- 【Lifetime Map Updated for Free】Preloaded Map for 48 european countries including UK&Ireland, the device cannot update by itself. Install and update Maps at no extra cost, for the useful lifetime...
- 【Situations that can affect the GPS positioning】Sometimes, when you are driving on the Motorway/viaduct, the channel is floated. When you are driving on spiral road, you will find the GPS signal...
- 【Car GPS Function】①Support Postcode, Address, Coordinates, Favorite and POI Search. ②4 Routes Options: Fast/Green/Short/Easy. ③Support GPS time or Map time setting. ④Support FM broadcast,...
- ✔【Lifetime Map Updated for Free】Pre-installed with the most up-to-date 52 countries 2022 UK and EU map, which has 2D / 3D map display. Provide with lifetime free map updates on our website. If...
- ✔【9 inch Big Screen for Truck】9 inch capacitive touch HD screen, more clearer and sensitive, touch it with your finger directly, no need stylus. 8 GB ROM 256 MB RAM provides plenty of room to...
- ✔【Practical GPS Navigation for Car/Truck】①Professional truck customization,customize better routes for you and avoid roads such as width/height/weight restrictions. And Providing Intelligent...
- ✔ 【Real Volice Truck GPS 】Choose from a selection of voices that will provide you turn by turn voice navigation. Real man or woman voice broadcast you don’t have to look on the GPS screen all...
- 【World Maps & Free Lifetime Update】Pre-Installed with the latest 2022 Europe UK Ireland maps. Maps of Australia,NZ,USA or Canada is available to install free anytime. You are suggested to update...
- 【Map UPGRADE】About map update: For Window system pc, you can connect OHREX Sat Nav with your computer directly. But for MAC, you need to use the external TF card, this TF card can help you...
- 【Intelligent NAVIGATION FEATURES】(1) Supports Postcodes, Address, Coordinates & POI, (2) Driver Alerts, Active Speed Camera Detection, Street name Broadcasting, Current Speed, Lane Guidance &...
- 【FM transmitter】Built-in FM transmitter can provide GPS sound to your car stereo. Latest touchscreen technology, no need for styluses, HD display providing clearer viewing for poor eyesight, can...
Last update on 2022-01-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Truck sat navs are a must-have for long distance truck drivers. These devices can be used to enter the details of your vehicle and journey ahead, which comes in handy if you need specific instructions on what routes to take or need help with other important driving related information like speed limits, weight restrictions, height requirements etc. It’s also an invaluable tool that has helped countless drivers avoid traffic congestion and find parking locations faster than ever before. No matter where you’re headed the top 10 truck sat navs for 2022 will get you there.
The British Trucking Top Choice for 2022 is the TomTom Go Expert which we have chosen because of its features, ease of use, and processing speed when navigating the roads of Britain.