Truck Drivers Toilet Facilities what is the Law?
Companies who refuse truck drivers toilet facilities are breaking the law, under the health, safety and welfare regulations 1992 suitable toilets and hand washing facilities must be provided for truck drivers visiting a company’s premises.
Workplaces where a driver has to make a collection or delivery must ensure that safe and easy access to toilets and hand wash facilities are provided to drivers whilst carrying out their duties on there premises.
Denying a driver access to these facilities is against the law, truck drivers who have been denied access to facilities when carrying out their duties should report this to the HSE (Health and Safety Executive).
What happens if a truck drivers files a report?
Reporting a business for refusing you access to toilets or hand washing facilities is treated with high priority by the HSE, by reporting these cases allows the HSE to bring a case against offending businesses and take any action needed.
Be assured it is your legal right to have use of toilet and hand washing facilities, businesses are breaking the law if they deny you access!
Department of Transport and HSE Open Letter
The Department of Transport and the HSE have devised a letter which can be used to show to any businesses refusing access to toilet and washing facilities.
In most cases this letter will resolve any issues your haulage firm has with a company that is not complying with the rules.
Firstly report any problems to your transport manager or union representative as a phone call to a business may resolve the issue.
If drivers are still refused access to facilities a copy of this letter will show them clearly what the law states.
Should any business still refuse access to toilet and washing facilities then report them to the HSE using the link above.
- Companies who refuse truck drivers access to toilets and hand washing facilities are breaking the law.
- Businesses can be reported to the HSE for refusing access to toilets and hand washing facilities.
- Reporting a business for refusing you access to toilets or hand washing facilities is treated with high priority by the HSE.
- The department of transport and HSE open letter will confirm the law to any businesses that refuse to comply.
- Report all instances to your transport manager and union representative before filing a complaint, as their actions may resolve the issue quickly.